Do You ever miss teaching?
Do you ever miss teaching? This is one of the most frequently asked questions I get from educators thinking about leaving, wanting to work from home and have a better life.
Some questions aren’t as simple as a one-word answer. ;P
I can’t lie, there are some things I DO miss about teaching.
The actual teaching part, for example.
Do I miss teaching? I miss building relationships with the kids. I miss talking about my favorite subject, science. And getting that feeling of making an impact in the world.
But for everything I miss, there’s something I can do in my work-at-home job that’s comparable and I can do it from home.
Do I miss teaching? The answer that constantly wins out for me is… no.
Why don't i miss teaching?
I don’t miss teaching the majority of the time.
I don’t miss…
- The meetings
- The lack of respect
- The emotional toll of teaching to a test
- The lack of support from the powers that be and their push for larger class sizes. :O
- I don’t miss not being able to increase my pay.
- I don’t miss having to be at a certain place at a certain time and teach a certain thing.
- The expectation that teaching is a one-size fits all, when in reality, we teach the way every student learns, and that takes time, energy, and money.
- Talking about money, I don’t miss buying for my supplies, and resources to efficiently do my job.
After experiencing the life I have now, being able to travel, to work from anywhere, whenever I want… it’s hard to miss…
I don’t plan to ever return to teaching in the traditional sense. I want to teach teachers, and I get to inspire and help people grow from the comfort of my couch.
What i have learned.
I learned that I will always be a teacher. I like inspiring and guiding people to be the best version of themselves they can be.
The difference now is that I don’t have an assigned age group to teach; I teach anyone that walks into my life.
My classroom is not a set room with a set schedule. Now, my classroom is the world. I teach, inspire, and guide from the comfort of my couch or from the mountains I like to hike when I’m on vacation with my husband.
So to answer the question Do I miss teaching? No, I don’t, and I don’t believe that you will either.
Teaching can be a great career but if you’re looking to earn more or schedule your day instead of having it scheduled for you. If you are ready to take that leap, check out my Ebook, the Teachers Toolkit.