STAYING HEALTHY AT HOME
One unexpected outcome of working at home is that I developed Type 2 Diabetes. It’s not only because I am working from home — it runs in my family and my habits have been leading to this for a while.
However, when I started working from home, I started sitting a lot more. I love the work I do and it’s easy to work throughout the day without taking a break.
So how can you stay healthy while working from home?
With my recent diagnosis (and desire to get back to the normal blood range as soon as possible), I’ve learned a lot about how to better take care of myself while working at home.
Here are my top ten tips to help you stay healthy when you start working at home:
1. Workout daily. Even when you don’t feel like it. When I work out in the morning, my blood sugar stays better regulated throughout the day.
2. Drink plenty of water. I know this sounds cliche, but it really does make a difference.
3. Stand up and move around at least once an hour.
4. Eat foods that make you feel energized.
5. Find out what recharges you and spend some time doing that each week.
6. Set a time that you are going to stop working everyday — and stick to it. There will be exceptions but if most of your days have a specific ending time, you’ll find you’re able to recharge better.
7. Spend time outside — or wherever your happy place is.
8. Keep a gratitude and/or progress journal. There will be some difficult days but if you can look back at everything you’re thankful for, or at least all the ways you’ve grown, the difficult days pass quickly and aren’t all that bad. 🙂
9. Spend time with other high achievers. I’d suggest a mastermind but if you don’t have the money for a mastermind quite yet, find like-minded people on Facebook.
And finally, #10. If you consistently don’t like what you’re doing, commit to building other skills that light you up — skills that make you excited to get up in the morning! Life is too short to hate what you’re doing.