Ready to make your exit from the classroom? We know that it can be a little daunting to figure out which direction to go when you just want to leave quickly. The exciting thing is – there are SO MANY OPTIONS out there for you! So, how do you narrow it down? We thought we’d share LAT’s Top Picks to help you exit the classroom sooner! If you want to start a new career, but feel stuck and unsure about what to do next… and wish you had someone walking you through the steps so you can be successful as quickly as possible… this post is for you.
This post contains affiliate links. We will earn a small commission on any products or courses you buy using these links. Either way, you would pay the same price. We only link to products and courses that we know are great products and have either taken ourselves, seen the course, or have been recommended to the course by someone we trust.
Figuring Out Your Skills
If you are ready to leave the classroom but are a little unsure what skills you might have that can transfer over into other careers, we completely understand. That is why we created The Teachers’ Toolkit, especially for you. This Ebook is perfect for helping you figure out the skills you already have so you can make your exit from the classroom sooner and with more confidence in your next career. This resource lists all the skills you already have as well as gives career options that match those skills.
To gain even more knowledge in specific categories, check out the New CareerPaths for Teachers Summit. You can learn from teachers and hiring managers who are now working in companies, such as:
- Canvas by Instructure
- Brain POP
- Imagine Learning
- Lucid for Education
- The Reimagined Classroom
- Arizona State University
- Excalibur STEM Academy
- Go Fuel Sales (Educational Sales)
- Their own freelancing companies
Revamping Your Resume
As you look to transition out of teaching into a new career, it can be frustrating to apply for jobs and submit resumes and feel ignored or rejected. It’s not because you don’t have the skills. I promise you… you have tons of skills! It’s because you’re not translating the skills. So, we have a resource for you that will guide you step by step to create a Winning Resume in less than 7 days that catapults you to the front of the hiring line and out of the classroom.
For more specialized support with your resume, check out and register for this free resume workshop by Career Coach and resume expert Timothy Lo. Not only does he walk you through a resume step by step, but he also gives tips and strategies for using LinkedIn effectively and other job search tips. Several of the members of our Life After Teaching group have attended his workshops and have given rave reviews for them, so this could definitely support you and make your exit from the classroom happen sooner into the life where you feel happiness and fulfillment.
Skill-based courses for other careers
Teachers have so many skills, and it is so exciting to explore and see what career fits best for you. Here are our top picks for different skill-based courses to help you make your exit from the classroom happen sooner!
- Instructional design: One of the best courses we have found for teachers looking to break into Curriculum and Instructional Design and the corporate training world is Ali Parrish’s course From Teacher to Instructional Designer at Teacher Transition. Her hands-on approach makes this a very practical way to learn the skills you need to move forward in this career path without going back to grad school and paying for another degree. Several members of our Life After Teaching fam have taken this course and loved it.
- Virtual Assistant: If you are looking into becoming a virtual assistant, Esther Inman’s 90 Day VA course will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need to be able to work from home anywhere as a virtual assistant. And she even gives a little free preview of the course for you to check out yourself. You can also check out LaToya Russell’s Anatomy of Automation course, which is a specialized niche of being a VA that just might be for you! She has some great free resources as well as a fantastic course.
- Bookkeeping: Interested in remote bookkeeping? Kristin Ingram’s Bookkeeper Training school details how you can become an excellent bookkeeper, even without any prior formal training. Her free course preview shares with you the top 3 secrets people are using to turn themselves into highly sought-after bookkeeping pros. If you are interested in a remote career, this makes an excellent option for many teachers.
- WordPress Rockstar and Coding: Ready to become a rockstar at coding, creating websites, and genuinely wowing business owners with your tech skills? This is the course for you. Not only is Julia Taylor one of the most incredible tech gurus out there, but she is also an incredibly genuine person who is on a mission to teach others how to become WordPress rockstars who can tackle any website problems and dazzle the corporate world with your results, which means you bring in more money!!! Honestly, her Geekpack community she has built is incredible, and this is a great option for teachers.
Our Life After Teaching Store also has tons of our amazing products designed specifically to help teachers create their own life after teaching, from Learning to build Funnels, Ghostwriting, Side Hustle Masterminds, and even more. There you have it…the LAT Top picks to help you exit the classroom sooner so you can create the life you want for yourself and your family.
Time to take action: What is one step you can take today to get started finding your own dream work-at-home life? Comment below and let me know, then share this post with a friend who needs to hear it!
Join a community of other like-minded people at Facebook.com/lifeafterteaching.
If you’re a teacher looking for teaching alternatives, here are some options to help you get started on your own work-at-home life.